Tuesday, October 9, 2012

Southwestern Quinoa

I spent ALL day cooking yesterday.  I was going to my grandma's and, since she never makes it over to our neck of the woods for dinner, wanted to bring dinner to her.  On top of that I had made a whole batch of mini raw strawberry cheesecakes and key lime pies AND still had to pack for the week AND take all these pictures for the blog...needless to say, I was running around like a chicken with my head cut off :-) In the midst of all the chaos and commotion in the kitchen I nearly cut the tip of my thumb off.  As much as I LOVE cooking...I am relieved to just be sitting down today blogging.  Far away from any potentially hazardous sharp objects :-) This is the perfect accompaniment to my Walnut Crusted Salmon with Mango Mustard recipe.  It can be made ahead, which is always a plus, AND it tastes so fresh and summery.  I can imagine serving it with all sorts of meals...It would be epic with some Carne Asada tacos and plantains.
  
Ingredients:
- 1 c. quinoa
- 2 mangos (diced)
- 2 jalepenos (minced)
- 1 medium red bell pepper (diced)
- 1/2 c chopped cilantro
- 1/2 of a small red onion
- 1 cup fresh or frozen corn
- 15 oz can of black beans (rinsed and drained)
- Juice of 2 limes
- 2 T olive oil
- 2 garlic cloves (minced)
- 1/2 tsp ground cumin
- 1/2 tsp chili powder
- 1/2 tsp tumeric
- 1/2 tsp Sea salt to taste
- 1/4 tsp black pepper


Directions:
- Cook quinoa according to package directions
- Combine ingredients through black beans in a large mixing bowl
- Whisk together remaining ingredients (lime juice through salt) and pour over quinoa mixture
- Stir well to combine and refrigerate until ready to serve


No comments:

Post a Comment